Friday, March 13, 2009

Arizona & New Mexico road trip

I haven't used this blog since my world trip, but I reckon whenever I have a bunch of pictures to show to friends, I might as well use it.

So me and Iara did a road trip from Phoenix, Arizona, back to Dallas. Weather in Arizona was fantastic, just over 70 (21 celcius), and there's some gorgeous mountainous areas in arizona/new mexico before you hit the texas flatlands.

But hang on, you may ask... how do you do a 1 way road trip? and what the hell is that car in the pictures? surely it can't be...

Yes... I bought a 2006 porsche cayman s (doesn't it look less pretentious in all lowercase?)... the best deal I could find was in phoenix, so I thought it be the ideal opportunity to combine it with a road trip.

And no, I didn't buy it because I am a poser. I take my driving seriously, and I have test driven every possible alternative. I always thought porsches are overrated... until I drove one. This thing has the finest handling on the planet, and that's all I care for.

Also, no, I haven't struck it rich yet either. With the current economy, "luxury" cars have been in an even bigger free fall than everything else. This car is hardly more expensive than my past car, a nissan 350z.

And if you thought getting the car itself was crazy, let me add to that: my total experience driving manual transmission before I bought this car was maybe 20 miles. Now, 1300 miles later, I somehow got it home safely and am a bit more experienced driving manual (hurray for stop signs on steep hills).

In new mexico we drove through a cold front, and our nice 70 dropped to 32 (0 celcius) within an hour, and suddenly I was driving through the snow on mountain roads... a bit more adventure than I had bargained for :)

Total trip took us 4 days of driving... most of it fantastic fun... see pictures below:







No comments: