Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Leaving Istanbul for Berlin...

Going to head to the airport in a bit, so here some more pictures from Istanbul.

The weather was pretty good for it being december, mornings were cold and rainy, but in the afternoons it always clears up with a mild amount of sun, and bringing out everyone onto the streets.

What suprised me about the atmosphere here also besides it being very european, is how quiet it is. After the 24-7 car horn symphony that is India, this place is a sea of quiet, with very few cars in any streets. Combined with the wintery but sunny look made it feel very... peaceful. Not what I had expected at all but great nonetheless.

I had a blast with the food. I went to a restaurant on the first night, but stopped doing that pretty soon as it was more fun just living on a continuous snacking tour from street vendors, which was tasty and cheap, and even decently healthy, as there's fresh fruit, nuts, juices etc to be had every 100 meters.

Istanbul is also quite the shopping paradise, especially for guys, as there are insane amounts of little leather shoe / suit shops everywhere, all at about 10% of the price you'd pay in the US. I don't have space to carry much but got some nice shoes and a pair of pants just for the hell of it.

Oh, and to my loyal readers: if you haven't read about my Dubai experiences yet, that may be because I made 3 posts all at once last time, and you only saw the top one... scroll down :)





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, awesome pictures of Istanbul! Was the underwater canal thing cool? Drink some beers for us in Berlin!

Unknown said...

Yeah, was quite surreal...